So I have been asked by numerous people, are you ready for the baby?
Words can not describe what goes through my head when I am asked this...
I start by listing off in my head all the things the baby has,
* we have clothes for the little one -check
* we have a car seat stroller to fit our travel needs- check
* we have a bassinet for when he first comes home- check
* we have some diapers and wipers (enough for a few weeks)- check
*umm... I will hopefully supply the whole food thing...(no real way to check that one off yet)
What else do I need?! Food, shelter, love all there and waiting
Is there some major thing I am missing? Mom's out there, was there something that you wished you had right when they came home? I am a person that likes to buy things that are needed, and get frustrated when purchases go unused. Don't get me wrong, I like to splurge now and then and unneeded but useful items are great too. But is there something major missing? I have a nursing pillow, umm I was going to wait until the baby got here to decorate the rest of his room seeing as he will not be using his crib for awhile and it's really for my enjoyment right now not his. (I don't think he will mind if I went with the green and brown color scheme over the blue and brown. I however like green more)
I then start second guessing myself and asking
Do these people know some secret way to store extra sleep and naps now so I can use them when I am exhausted?
Should I be filling my TiVo with endless hours of entertainment for late night "bonding" moments when the wee one wont sleep?
Is there some secret product out there I must have to truly be "ready"?
What is it I don't know about being ready?Can I really be ready? Is there such a thing?
So as I am down to the final countdown, I beg, I plead, what else is there? Anything you loved having? What made you feel ready? Can you tell the nesting has begun?
Monday, August 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
the only thing left is to learn how to get your little one to sleep! I'll email you all the tricks of the trade. I promise...this is the one secret every mommy wished she knew. Good luck with these last few weeks!
People keep asking me the same question. All I can think of that I have in addition to what you mentioned is a bunch of receiving/swaddling blankets (these are supposed to be very helpful), breast pads/breast cream (I'm going to try to be the mommy milk cow as well), and I'm going to stock up on some various baby first aid things like infant tylenol/motrin, one of those things to suck snot out (do they have a name?), gas drops, thermometer, etc. Just so when something does happen I don't have to send Tim out into what will probably be negative temps. Um, can I get on that email list for the comment before mine??? Seriously, forward that to me, Stine!
Sara, Im on it...and Aria, thanks so much.
I definitely recommend the nasal aspirator. My baby had a lot of snot for the first few weeks. I am not sure how long you will have help, but I would suggest making meals and freezing them. That helped me with the lack of sleep after my mom left! Good luck and I look forward to updates!
single layer swaddle blankets-practice swaddling-good and tight. preferably on a baby belonging to a friend :) if the baby can get out, you're not doing it good enough. cornstarch-kris clued me in to that-BEST cure for diaper rashes EVER. those elastic bottom baby gowns with the sleeves that flip over their hands. those mitten things you buy separately DON'T stay on. degreasing dish soap (like dawn) for breastmilk poop blowout stains. white noise machine-there's one for about $25 at babies r us-no need for the expensive 100 dollar ones.
okay, I've written enough. :)
I totally agree with all of these comments.
The best swaddle blanket I ever found was from www.miracleblanket.com/ It wasn't cheap, but it was completely worth it.
I used a Boppy pillow all the time while I was nursing, and even after I stopped I used it to keep Sky comfy while she drank her bottle.
Oh, do you have a swing? If you don't want to buy one, borrow one from a friend to try it out. Our swing gave us HOURS of extra sleep and helped my baby go to sleep when she was having a tough time.
(I put it on the slowest speed at first, and my kid hated it. Really, truly hated it. Then someone loaned me a DVD called Happiest Baby on the Block and the guy said to try the fastest swing speed. Worked like a charm. Seriously.)
Every baby is so different. You'll figure out what works best for you.
As for white noise, just get a fan.
I'm excited for you. Do you have a name picked out yet?
Post a Comment